Tēnā koutou, Greetings to you & Nau mai, haere mai, welcome to New Zealand!
New Zealand is a beautiful place that I hope to return to in the future in order to see, learn and understand it more fully. Since we opted for a cruise around New Zealand, we only got a snap-shot of this unique country. I would love to learn more about the Maori culture and the many natural marvels of New Zealand.
The places in New Zealand that stand out to me most are:
- Napier , home of Mount Victoria and a cool lighthouse. This lovely little town was a great place to explore.
- Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand which has a cool cable car, a fun University, and is a walk-able city. We toured Wellington on our own and even walked to the city center from the cruise ship which took about 45 minutes at a fast speed. Yes, it was a crazy idea to get to the city center by foot, but we saw authentic neighborhoods and other sites that most tourists would otherwise miss.
- Tauranga, where you will find Mount Mauganui and the Bay of Plenty. We opted to visit the Waikato Region, home to the movie-set of The Lord of the Rings.
- Akaroa, a quint town outside of Christchurch. We opted to roam the town because we happened to be there soon after the 2016 Earthquake. We decided against taking an excursion to one of the national parks because we had two sea days ahead of us to fully enjoy the INCREDIABLE Fjords of Milford Sound. In the end, we were very comfortable with our decision. The views of the fjords from the ship decks were beyond sufficient.
MILFORD SOUND IS NOT TO BE MISSED. THE PHOTOS DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE:
- Dunedin, a lovely town I would like to further explore. We opted to visit the cute Otago Peninsula and Yellow-eyed Penguins on a guided tour.
- Auckland. Even though we spent the night here, I do not feel that we really had enough time to fully see this huge city. We stayed in the Amora Hotel, actually in the two story Penthouse, only to have access to a washer and dryer, ironing board, and iron. This was due to staying the previous week in Sydney, Australia and knowing that we needed clean clothes for our New Zealand cruise. The Amora Hotel was lovely and hosted a hearty morning breakfast. We could have easily lived here comfortably for a week, as the rates the penthouse rates were reasonable at just under $100/night. We left Auckland early the following morning to catch the cruise. In hindsight, I would have planned for a three night stay in this wonderful city. https://www.amorahotels.com/hotels/amora-hotel-auckland
ALTHOUGH, SETTING SAIL ON A CRUISE AROUND NEW ZEALAND WAS LOVELY!
So, as I say in many of my blogs, we will just have to come back to New Zealand for a land trip and stay for a good LONG while.
Until next time, Ka kite anō, or so long for now.